I am writing a check to the Atlantic Theater Company this year.
These are my Top 10 reasons why:
- Artistic Director Neil Pepe picked me up when I was down, read fourteen pages of something new I was writing, committed to a full production, facilitated and nurtured every step of the development of the play, was at my beck and call 24/7 throughout rehearsals and previews, treated everyone I brought in with carte blanche courtesy, professionalism and respect, and we ended up doing work we were all proud of in a place that felt like HOME. Winning the Pulitzer Prize was a bonus.
- Atlantic Theater Company’s Mission Statement. Please read it. They actually do what they say they do. And they do it really well. They need our support.
- Amazing 30th Anniversary Season: Kenny Lonergan. Dominique Morisseau. Adam Rapp. Caryl Churchill. Rolin Jones & Billie Joe Armstrong. Itamar Moses. Harold Prince. Ruben Santiago-Hudson. Musicals. Drama. Comedy. My favorite artists creating important, relevant, necessary work.
- Not just a Main Stage on 20th Street, but a Stage 2 on 16th Street: I’ve spent time at Stage 2 as a writer, actor, director, and audience member. Stage 2 is where artists are born. Stage 2 is arguably more important than the Main Stage. Voices of tomorrow are worthy of a check today. It’s a sound investment.
- Managing Director Jeffory Lawson knows everybody’s name. He’s smart like a good businessman should be, but he also loves what he’s selling– he’s a theater geek. Like me. Like us. I like that.
- The City We Live In: Not hard to find a Starbucks, a chain store pharmacy, or an ATM. Much harder to find places like The Atlantic that offer abundant live theater, educational programming, and a sense of community. My check today says; “I care about keeping the good stuff around”.
- The World We Live In: If you don’t believe Theater has a role to play in making the world saner and less savage, than you’re not still reading this list.
- Sometimes I need to get numb. That’s what Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and HBO are for. But when I need to feel alive, rejuvenated, challenged, and engaged with community — I need to put on pants and go to the theater. I need The Atlantic. And they need us.
- Non-Profit theater like The Atlantic takes more risks and must give more value for the dollar than For-Profit Theater.
- I’ve seen the Atlantic from the inside. It’s Good Business. And Good Art. By diverse artists. And real people. Who care.
Stephen Adly Guirgis
– or –
Call Janine Repka at 646.216.1088 to make a gift by phone.
Mail a check to:
Atlantic Theater Company
Attn: Development Department
76 Ninth Avenue, Suite 537
New York, NY 10011